Here are my thoughts on a transition plan from full-time employment to full-time unemployment; also known as becoming a founder of a startup.
- Never sign an anti-moonlighting or non-compete agreement – ever. Never sign a blanket IP assignment agreement.
- Find the smallest iteration you can do. Do it.
- Iteration zero: plan the first four weeks of development.
- 1 hour of focus each weeknight, 2 on Saturday. 0 on Sunday.
- Consider learning to be productive time. This includes reading books.
- Create a quiet space in which to work. Have a family? Include them in the planning so everyone has a voice and catches the vision.
- Write down on paper and post in your offline life somewhere: “Life is a marathon not a sprint – pace yourself.”
- Sleep well, eat well, don’t drink. No sugar, no pop, no diet pop, no candy. You need mental focus.
- Maintain old and foster new relationships. Life is relational not just task oriented.
- Don’t give equity away. Everyone’s time has the same value no matter what role they play. $200/hr, $100/hr, $50/hr – doesn’t matter what you choose when everyone is the same. More is probably better later.